DITCH THE BARRELS

Elton

The organisers of Ireland’s most prestigious pike fishing match are being urged to address “serious welfare concerns”, amid growing calls for a boycott of the event.

More details here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/pacgb_ern...assic_2007.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Looks like matters are getting worse:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/pike_angl...lub_060707.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It would be nice to hear both sides of the story and see one of these barrels. I can imagine that things have been said that have made the resolution of this dispute very difficult.

Bring in an independent adjudicator such as a member of the Salmon fishing association of Island or the local Council, make a selection of experts available and resolve the issue.

Sounds to me that this event has been going on for a long time, why is the issue raised only now??

Why can’t pike sacks be used?

Can you get a barrel on a boat?

Do they need to be retained at all surly there could be another method of recording the weight and then releasing them.

Have PAC gone in like a steam train and put the backs up of everyone?

Won’t the antis love this one!!

Surly this can be sorted by level heads, who can help??

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

"We have been told by an organiser that they were advised by fisheries scientists that barrels without aeration were the safest way to retain pike during this competition," a spokesman said. the emphasis is mine

If that quote is accurate, then someone is speaking nonsense.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If that quote is accurate, then someone is speaking nonsense.

Newt that quote is 100 per cent accurate as I was present when the three representatives ALL stated that as fact.

Blue rinse,

the PAC have been talking to the organisers since the innaugaral event, last year. We have offered to provide tubes, stewards, boats and communications equipment to prevent these barrels being used, but all of this was thrown back inour faces.

The PAC is not calling for the match to be stopped, or a boycott as yet, we just want the use of unaerated chemical barrels to be dropped in favour of better stewarding and tubes.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Mark - it is pretty clear that PAC has taken the high road on this issue and well done to you for making the effort and for your patience.

You can tell them that over here in the colonies, we call a boat's live well that has lost aeration a dead well and I can't see that a barrel would behave any differently.

Load them with an inch or more of fish per gallon of water and no aeration and you will have dead fish in fairly short order and those numbers are for unstressed fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mark - it is pretty clear that PAC has taken the high road on this issue and well done to you for making the effort and for your patience.

You can tell them that over here in the colonies, we call a boat's live well that has lost aeration a dead well and I can't see that a barrel would behave any differently.

Load them with an inch or more of fish per gallon of water and no aeration and you will have dead fish in fairly short order and those numbers are for unstressed fish.

thankfully Newt a lot of the scientific notes that we have aside from our own come from the studies conducted into live wells and bass in the states.

you can imagine our reaction when we were told that little gem.!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk